Last year we made a car trip from California to Nevada to become a part of Burning Man to immerse ourselves in an alternate reality, recharge our creative energy and draw inspiration from the surreal atmosphere.
In this post I want to share some practical survival tips that I learned from Burning Man.
Is there is a place for mobile apps at Burning Man?
The answer is – no :).
In App Store or Google Play you can find some event-related iOS or Android applications with Black Rock City maps, Burning Man agenda, photo galleries, etc. Using them you can even try to plan your activities in advance. But all of that will be useless for a couple of reasons.
- Your smartphone will suffer from the playa (dust which cover the desert of Black Rock City) and it is better to use it only when you really need it.
- You won’t want to care about charging your phone all the time instead of enjoying all the crazy things around you.
- At the entrance, organizers will provide you with a comprehensive guide through the event, which includes maps and a pocket-size book with the event agenda.
Practical advice for Burning Man
Below is some of the everyday advice that could be helpful if one day you go to Burning Man.
- First two days you are gonna suffer physically. It’s alright!
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
- Use moisturizer daily to keep your cuticles ok. You’ll realize how important this is by the last day.
- Don’t afraid of dust, sun and dehydration. It is a very small part of the overall experience you could get at Black Rock City and this is the minor one. But be prepared.
- Be careful when choosing boots. They should protect your feet from the dust and be very convenient as you will use them 20 hours a day.
- If you are going to use your smartphone not only in the camp prepare a hermetically sealed bag in advance, otherwise you risk that playa dust will ruin it.
- Think of a costume in advance and create something that you will love. Costume is the key!
- You’d better prepare two costumes – one for the day time and another with a lot of artificial fur for the night. You will need something warm in the evening.
- Do not forget to make the shade in your camp. There you could rest in the afternoon or chat with your guests.
- Use sun-protector sprays from the early morning.
Social advice for Burning Man
- You won’t see everything. It’s alright!
- Take time to meet your neighbors, think in advance of gifts for them or small treats.
- Talk to the strangers
- Smile at the strangers
- Share your snacks with the strangers
- Don’t be afraid to spread your love to everyone and everything
- Try something new every day, do not be afraid of the experiments and the new experience.
- And last but not least. That unforgettable experience of Burning Man would not be so bright and unique without friends! Come to playa with your friends! :)